Saturday 13 March 2010

Clinic Communty




I walked to the back room at the Clinic in Kanguumira Sub County on Friday March 5th, where all the “special services” are rendered, and I see something really unique. As a Spring of Hope Volunteer I remember being briefed about this room. This is where all the non-Epileptic special needs children wait with a parent, where they get assessed, where they would get casts put on or casts removed. But no one told me that this is where the community happens! No one told me that this is where the parents meet and sit and share with other parents who are going through the same things they are. I do not have to speak Lugandan to recognize when two moms are connecting and talking while holding their disabled children. All I had to do is watch to when Martin, a eight year old with Cerebral Palsy reaches out and holds the hand of Robert, a three year old who also has Cerebral Palsy and developed blindness. I am so thankful that these children can receive the assessments and physical therapy they need as well as see a doctor but this clinic is so much more. This is a place of support, a place of lasting relationships, a place of overwhelming community.

No comments: